I think most Americans of sick of hearing about Rep. Weiner, and yes, I know I'm a little late in weighing in on this. But, life got busy my friends. When you deal with a bitch for a boss, a mad queen, a zombie's nightmare, you will understand what I mean.
My question that I ask is simply this: If you never meet your online relationship in the flesh, does that mean you didn't cheat?
With social networking, the way to meet people has changed. Our introductions with people in cyberspace often feels like real, genuine encounters. Rep. Weiner referred to his girlfriends as "women that [he] met on Facebook" or online. So, Weiner did admit to meeting these women, just not admitting to the fact that they were relationships.
Weiner called his interactions with these women as mere communications with and not a relationship. A relationship implies infidelity. Communication, on the other hand, suggests mere flirting. The congressman was flirting with these women. He has admitted to fooling around with women online, but he refuses to acknowledge that his actions were unfaithful. What's worth debating now isn't what he did, but what it means. Increasingly, sexual adventures outside of marriage are taking place online. Is this cheating? Or is it something less, as long as you don't touch one another?
I caught my musician boyfriend cheating online. In the very act of sexual activity. Masturbating to some bloke in cyberworld. My friends asked would it have made a difference if he was jerking off to some cunt. But I don't think there is any difference. The act is the act. What he did was wrong. And I feel I would have reacted in the same way. Throwing the guy out of my apartment.
Weiner and my ex-musician boyfriend both had online encounters. They both admitted, or were rather caught, fooling around. However, they both never thought their actions were unfaithful. They never thought they were cheating.
But they had intentions of infidelity. Yes, they never physically had sex with their online relationship. But they spoke of their intentions in words, in pictures, and in some cases videos.
And this coming from a shameless person who speaks publicly of his encounters with men. I'm open to relationships where couples agree to affairs, but speak of these. Communicate. Talk. Tell me you want to fuck somebody else. Tell me. Let me know. Don't let me find out about it like its some bad dirty little secret.
I cheat. I have cheated. But I let my relationships know of my actions and my intentions. I'm honest. And I would like to be treated with the same dignity, with the same respect.
What do you guys think? Can an open relationship last? Weigh in. XOXO
Had no idea that you had insight. You're more intellectual than you let on.
ReplyDeleteI do not think an open relationship can last. Isn't the point to be in a relationship, is so you can be exclusive? We be creative in making something work. You should want to be with the person. The problem is people are settling for less than their desirable.